Friday, September 4, 2009


Could you imagine having a tooth that weighs 8 lbs?? That's how much an elephant tooth weighs. Amazing hugh? If you would like to learn more, check out this article from "CoolScienceFacts.com" on Jan. 31, 2007. I find elephants very interesting creatures and love the way they make me smile! What animals make you smile?

Whatever it is that makes you smile, I hope you do a lot of it this labor day weekend! Stay safe and enjoy...

Most mammals have a set of baby teeth that eventually fall out and are replaced by adult teeth, which they keep for their entire lives. Elephants are different, however. They go through six sets of large, brick-like teeth that grow in at the back of their mouths and slowly move to the front as they are worn down. The teeth then fall out and are replaced by fresh ones.

Consequently, elephants have no use for dentists, and have been known to laugh openly when they encounter dental hygienists on safari. There is evidence of elephants in the wild eating five hundred pounds of coconut macaroons in one day, without flossing.

Each set of elephant teeth that grows in is larger than the last. The final teeth are over eight inches long (21 cm) from front to back and weigh more than eight pounds (4 kg).

1 comment:

  1. Hey everybody at Stewart and Labbe! I like your question about " What animal makes you smile?" Great Question!! Dolphins make me smile all the time no matter where I am school or home they always keep a shining smile of bright teeth on my face. I didn't know any of these facts about elephants, thanks for telling me! Eight pounds a for one tooth, I'M SURPRISED!!!!!!! Elephants make me smile too and I love when I see some of them laugh & smile, it gives me a laugh also. Have a great Labor Day 3-day weekend. Post a comment tomorrow!!!

    pinkroses
    9/6/09

    ReplyDelete